Welcome to Spring Term in Year 2!
Class Teachers: Mrs. Ingham & Miss Soudet
Teaching Support: Mrs. Smyth, Mrs James & Mrs. Bennett
This term we will be beginning our new topic that will have a History focus. We will be exploring and finding out about 'The Great Fire of London'.
PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR OUR TRIP LETTERS TO STOCKPORT STAIRCASE HOUSE.
We had a fantastic day on Thursday when Warbutons came to visit! We found out about how bread is made in the factories and transported to the shop shelves. We explored a variety of healthy fillings for sandwiches, choosing foods from different food groups. We even tasted and ate the sandwiches that we designed! The children all behaved perfectly and had an enjoyable day.
This is a fantastic topic that the children thoroughly enjoy. We can't wait to explore it with them!
Reading: We will be exploring different question types whilst reading a range of different texts. We will be reading non-fiction, fiction and poetry. Please use the key questions prompts that have been sent home to explore different styles of questions to ask your child about texts that they read at home. Asking these questions form an important part of reading at home. If you have any queries about the question sheets, please pop into speak to us.
Mathematics: We will be recapping and building upon our Maths learning from the Autumn Term. The children will be consolidating addition, solving calculations by partitioning. We will be continuing to develop our understanding of multiplication. Remember to keep rehearsing the 2x, 5x and 10x tables. We will be using these facts to help us with division.
Science: We will be exploring the topic 'Animals including humans'.
We will be exploring:
- that animals, including humans, have offspring which grow into adults.
-finding out about and describing the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival (water, food and air)
-describing the importance for humans of exercise, eating the right amounts of different types of food, and hygiene
In Year 2 we expect:
- Reading books are to be brought into school each day.
- Children should be heard read regularly at home and a comment written into the diary.
- Lost or damaged books will be charged at £5.
- A named PE kit is to be kept in school. PE kits consist of black shorts, white T-Shirt and a pair of pumps.
- Toast money (£1.25 a week or 25p a day) is to be brought into school in a named envelope on a Monday morning.
- A water bottle to be brought into school on a Monday. Children are encouraged to drink fresh water regularly throughout the day. They are able to refill their water bottle using our water fountains. Water bottles will be sent home on a Friday to be washed.
Spellings and homework will be given out on a Friday. We ask that homework is returned on the following Friday. The children will also be tested on their spellings the following Friday. Please support your child with their homework and spellings.
If you would like to discuss further or have any questions regarding what is being covered in Year 2 then please contact the office to make an appointment with the class teacher.
PLEASE NOTE: School is not responsible for any loss or damage to children’s personal possessions or equipment. Toys etc are not allowed to be brought into school in order to prevent loss, damage or distractions.
If you have any queries or questions, please don't hesitate to come in to see us.
Mrs. Ingham and Miss Soudet